CBD Oil for Fibromyalgia: Effective cure?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder in which the brain processes the pain signals so as to amplify them. The patients experience musculoskeletal pain accompanied by a sleep disorder, erratic memory, constant fatigue and mood issues. The disorder normally takes root after a traumatic physical experience such as infection, accidents, surgery as well as due to psychological stress. However, in some cases, new symptoms gradually show up without any evident triggering factors.
Fibromyalgia is most likely to affect the women. It is usually seen along with other health conditions such as TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder, tension headaches, uncontrolled bowel, anxiety, and depression. Till date, there has been no permanent cure for fibromyalgia. However, there are various medications and therapies that help in an effective management of the symptoms. Stress management, relaxation, and regular exercises can also go a long way in the management of fibromyalgia.
How does it affect the human body?
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not yet known. However, whenever it affects a human body, the brain starts showing abnormal levels of certain chemicals accompanied by an abnormal processing of the pain signals. Family tree analysis of the patients has shown that the disorder could have a strong connection to genetics. However, the condition could also potentially be triggered by a combination of one or more physical and emotional traumas as mentioned below.
- Infection and injuries
- Genetic mutation
- Car accidents
- Loss of a loved one
- Breakdown in a relationship
The condition can severely affect the quality of life, causing constant and dull sensations of pain that can last for as long as three months in a stretch. The pain can be felt in all parts of the body and drains a lot of energy resulting in fatigue and sleepiness for most of the time. Most of the patients even have sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. If the condition intensifies, it can even start to affect concentration, focus and trigger migraines.
There are various natural as well as pharmaceutical treatments for fibromyalgia. The treatments show a higher effective if they are coupled together with a proper self-care plan. For a healthy management of the condition, it is necessary to make certain lifestyle changes so as to reduce stress and lower pain. Some of the anecdotal treatments of fibromyalgia include yoga, physical therapies, meditation, regular exercise, strict sleeping habits, acupuncture, massage therapy and a balanced diet.
These alternative treatments can safely be practiced together with the mainstream medical treatments. The most common medicines used in treating fibromyalgia are
- Pain relievers
For pain relief, doctors may recommend over the counter products such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen and stronger versions such as tramadol if the condition gets severe. However, the stronger medications are used in sparing doses so as to reduce the side effects.
Although antidepressants are not always used, the doctors may prescribe duloxetine and milnacipran if needed. These medicines help in lifting mood and help the patients to have a good undisturbed sleep.
- Antiseizure drugs
Gabapentin, the same drug used to treat epilepsy is also used quite popular in the treatment of fibromyalgia.
Advantages of using CBD oil for Fibromyalgia
- CBD or cannabidiol binds itself to the microglial cells, thereby inducing a reduction in cytokine count. This helps in providing relief from inflammation, pain as well as fatigue
- Using CBD for Fibromyalgia keeps the various different bodily functions in perfect alignment. CBD is not actually treated as a foreign substance. Instead, the human body produces some of its own CBD and when an extra dose is administered, they directly target the CBD receptors, leading to various positive reactions in the body.
- CBD targets the endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for maintaining the overall health and healing of the body. Therefore, using CBD not only helps in providing relief from fibromyalgia symptoms, but promotes the overall health of the body, providing a boost to the immune system, the central nervous system as well as the bone strength.
- CBD induces minimize side effects as compared to other pharmaceutical drugs such as opioid pain medications, antidepressants, Corti-corticosteroids, anti-inflammatory medications and so on.
- CBD is not a psychoactive substance and does not make the patients high or paranoid. The various brands of CBD oils available in the market may have very slight traces of THC, the psychoactive substance found in cannabinoids. However, it is unlikely to cause the patients to show a positive test in THC test.
- CBD is available in various different forms allowing the patients to choose the one that seems most convenient to them. Regular vapers can administer their daily dose of CBD through vaping. Since it does not cause any thick smoke or unpleasant smell, it should not cause any inconvenience. They are also available in the form of capsules, hums and topical ointments. However, they are most popularly bought in the form of basil oil.
- CBD oil extracted from marijuana is not legal in many areas. However, the CBD oil derived from hemp, which also has a lower concentration of THC is legal everywhere.
CBD Oil dosage for Fibromyalgia
CBD dosage can vary largely depending on the severity of the condition. Another thing that comes into consideration is the concentration of the actual CBD compound contained in the medicine, which can vary anywhere from 1 mg to 100 mg. Patients should be mindful of this aspect while formulating the doses. The normal dose for treating fibromyalgia is 2.5 to 20 mg, continued closely for a period of 25 days. It is best when administered orally. The patients may also adjust their dosage depending on how the body responds to the initial doses.
Side effects of using CBD for Fibromyalgia
The research involving the use of CBD in treating fibromyalgia is still in its primary stages. However, so far, it has been observed that the side effects caused by CBD are very mild and not at all life-threatening. The common side effects associated with CBD are given below.
This is the most common side effect of using CBD. The patients develop a dry mouth and experience excessive thirst. This condition is also known as “cotton mouth” or xerostomia in scientific terms. This is caused due to the effect of CBD on the nervous system and is not indicative of anything serious. The submandibular glands that are responsible for secreting almost 60% of the saliva have both the cannabinoid 1 and cannabinoid 2 receptors. Due to this, the saliva production is greatly altered by using CBD. Patients should refrain from taking wine or beer, but stick to sugar-free chewing gum and water.
Reduced blood pressure
A reduction in blood pressure is considered as a side effect only in people who do not suffer from constant high BP. However, a significant drop is observed only if the patient’s resort of using the very high amount of CBD. This can be prevented or at least controlled by opting for a product that has relatively lower concentrations of CBD. If the patients are already suffering from high BP, normal dosage can be continued so as to reduce the risk of high BP related health ailments such as stroke.
Although CBD is not a psychoactive substance and does not induce a high, it is very much likely to cause drowsiness. This is caused due to the psycho-motor slowing. Therefore, patients are recommended not to use heavy machinery, or involve in activities such as driving after taking the CBD.
Facts about fibromyalgia that you should know
- Fibromyalgia is a condition where the brain amplifies pain signals. Since there are hundreds of pain receptors across the body, the patients are bound to experience an entire body pain.
- Fibromyalgia was unheard before the 1980s. However, this could potentially be due to either misdiagnosis or a lack of official identification of the disorder.
- Currently, fibromyalgia is one of the most common physical ailments. Approximately 10 million people are suffering from this condition in the US alone.
- It is still not known as to why fibromyalgia tends to be more common in women than men. Although not proven, stress is considered as one of the contributing factors.
- Fibromyalgia in itself is not life-threatening. However, the constant pain and lack of proper sleep can affect the patient’s ability to perform in other areas and greatly degrade the quality of life.
- The constant frustration of having to deal with the fibromyalgia can eventually lead to depression.
- Using CBD for Fibromyalgia can greatly reduce the pain and inflammation while also promoting overall health with only minimal or no side effects
Although fibromyalgia cannot be completely cured, proper treatment and certain changes to the lifestyle could be very helpful in an effective management of the condition. CBD oils are now popularly used in place of over the counter drugs. CBD tends to be highly effective and can also be used together with other medications. The best part, however, is that CBD does not cause any serious side effects even when used for a prolonged period of time.