CBD Oil for multiple sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis is a non-contagious disease involving immune-mediated process resulting in abnormal responses from the body’s immune system. It damages the central nervous system tissues, thus causing a disability in the brain and the spinal cord. In this condition, the immune system attacks the myelin, a protective sheath forming insulation on the nerve fibers, thus causing a demyelination. This results in a deterioration or a permanent damage to the nerve cells, causing a loss of coordination between the brain and other parts of the body.
Since the exact cause of this abnormal response of the immune system is not known, the condition is also labeled as an immune-mediated disorder. The symptoms can vary from person to person depending on the area that has been affected. The affected areas are known as plaques or lesions and are diagnosed through MRI or magnetic resonance imaging.
Causes and symptoms of multiple sclerosis
It is not exactly known as to why multiple sclerosis gets triggered in some people. However, it is associated with the genetic makeup and various environmental factors. Multiple sclerosis affects the nerve cells, damaging the axon endings, due to which they are rendered unable to carry messages to and from the brain. Although not proven, vitamin D deficiency, damage to the immune system through viral infections and excess consumption of salt could potentially result in multiple sclerosis. So far, there has been no breakthrough in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. There are medications for the management, of the condition, but no drugs for a complete cure.
The signs and symptoms of Multiple sclerosis vary widely depending on the area where the nerve cells have been affected and the amount of damage that has taken place. Sometimes, there are also long periods of remissions, followed by a sudden reappearance of the symptoms. In other cases, the symptoms can stay for a long period of time without the occurrence of any new symptoms. The most common symptoms include
- Numbing sensation in the limbs and trunk, that occurs on each side of the body successively
- Loss of vision accompanied by pain. The vision could get affected completely or partially and it is only one eye that gets affected at a time. Some people may also experience double vision for a prolonged period of time
- Tingling sensation and pain in different parts of the body
- Since multiple sclerosis is caused by a damage to the sheathing that isolates electrical impulses in individual nerve cells, the patients may experience sudden sensations of electric shock, mainly on certain movements of the neck like forwarding bending
- Lack of coordination in the body movement resulting in queer gait and tremor
- Inability to formulate clear speech
- Persistent fatigue accompanied by dizziness
- Uncontrolled bladder movement and function
- In the severe cases, the patient may not even be able to walk independently
Also read: Best CBD Oil for Pain Relief.
Multiple sclerosis develops as a result of abnormal immune system response during which the body starts treating the myelin as an undesirable foreign substance like bacteria or virus. The risk of developing increases for people between the ages of 20 to 50 years. It is also seen to be more prevalent among women as compared to men. Genetic makeup could also have a role to play as it is observed to be more common among the population sharing a European heritage. The risk of developing MS is higher among people living far off from the equator, thus indicating that the amount of sunlight could have a role to play.
Other potential risk factors include
- Prolonged exposure to toxic substances
- Viral infections
- Unhealthy diet
- Physical trauma
- It’s also possible for the condition to have been triggered due to a combination of multiple risk factors. If not treated on time, it can result in the following complications.
- Stiffness in the muscles and frequent spasms
- Paralysis in different parts of the body, most commonly in the legs
- Bowel and bladder problems
- Sexual dysfunction
- Mood swings, forgetfulness, and depression
Benefits of using CBD oil for multiple sclerosis
Given below are the 5 main benefits of using CBD oil for Multiple Sclerosis.
- Anti-inflammatory properties
Multiple sclerosis is caused by an inflammation of the myelin sheath which forms an insulation to the electrical impulses carried by the nerve cells. Due to the inflammation, the nerve cells get irreparably damaged, thus resulting in various neurological disorders such as muscle weakness, spasms, unstable mood, persistent fatigue and loss of motor control.
After a lot of research, it has been found out that CBD can be highly effective in reducing the inflammation. In fact, it has been popularly used by herbalists since a very long time, but only recently introduced into pharmaceuticals.
Pain is the most debilitating symptom of muscular sclerosis. It is experienced by almost 50 to 70 % of the patients and results directly from the inflammation of the myelin sheath or as a consequence of the muscle spasms which exerts an excess amount of stress on the musculo-skeletal system.
CBD is highly effective in managing pain associated with multiple sclerosis and is commonly used in the form of sublingual sprays. In a research that was conducted using CBD alongside placebo drug, it was observed that patients taking CBD had significantly reduced pain and little sleep disturbances.
Muscle spasms and spasticity is another of the most common symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It is experienced by almost 80% of the people suffering from the condition. Spasms can cause a sharp sensation of pain but it goes away very quickly. Spasticity, on the other hand, causes persistent muscle contraction resulting in stiffness and pain.
Cannabis can help in reducing the pain as well the frequency of spasticity and muscle spasms.
Almost 50% of the patients suffering from multiple sclerosis experience depression. It can be caused due to damaged nerves resulting in an inability to regulate mood and also as a side effect due to various medications used during the treatment. Along with depression, multiple sclerosis is also responsible for causing various other emotional dysfunctions.
The mechanism of CBD in treating emotional dysfunction is complicated. However, patients who have used the compound have reported significant improvements in mood. This is mainly due to the effect of CBD on the endocannabinoid system of the body which is responsible for mood regulation and happiness levels.
- Abdominal problems
Multiple sclerosis is also known to cause abdominal problems such as pain, fecal inconsistencies, and constipation. This could be distressing as well as painful for the patients. Using CBD can reduce defecation urgencies, fecal incontinence as well as constipation. This is because CBD has a direct influence on the receptors present in the peripheral nervous system that is responsible for controlling the gut functions.
CBD dosage for multiple sclerosis
There are different ways of using CBD during the treatment of multiple sclerosis. It can be taken in the form of tinctures, drinks, pills, mixed into edibles, transdermal patches, topical ointments, sprays, juice and also through vaping. The dosage may vary on what form you are using it. 20 to 30 mg a day is considered to be the normal amount. However, this can also be adjusted depending on how the body responds after the administration. Some of the key things to keep in mind while using CBD include
- The dosage should only be sufficient to keep the symptoms under therein. It should not be used for the purpose of getting high
- Vaporizing ensures that the compound is quickly absorbed into the body and also shows immediate effects
- Consuming rich CBD edibles just before going to bed can help control the inflammations and pain, thus allowing the patients to have an undisturbed sleep
- There is no harm in frequently consuming cannabis juice
Also Read: CBDPure Review which is an awesome dietary supplement.
Pharmaceutical alternatives to CBD
Fatigue, muscle spasticity and pain can also be effectively treated through various other pharmaceuticals apart from CBD. These include daclizumab, dimethyl fumarate, fingolimod, interferon beta – 1a, mitoxantrone, natalizumab, ocrelizumab, peginterferon beta – 1a, teriflunomide, glatiramer acetate and interferon beta – 1b. Out of these, the interferon drugs and Copaxone are considered to be the safest and also the most effective. These drugs prevent flare-ups, chances of relapsing as well as advancing of the disease. However, they may cause a few side effects such as redness of the skin, itching, warmth, fever, chills, and flu-like symptoms.
Facts that you must know about multiple sclerosis and CBD oils
- CBD helps with digestion and increase metabolism rates in the body
- CBD helps you have a sound sleep
- There’s no permanent cure for multiple sclerosis. CBD only helps with the management of the symptoms
- Multiple sclerosis can also relapse and remit, thereby also known as a silent disease
- Increasing the intake of Vitamin D and exposure to sunlight can help reduce the symptoms
CBD is increasingly being used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Since it directly affects the endocannabinoid system of the body, it promotes an overall improvement in the physical and mental health. It is also very effective in treating the mental health disorders. There are different ways of using CBD for Multiple Sclerosis, so you may choose the method that best suits you. There are little or no side effects associated with the use of CBD for treating the immune-mediated disorder.