Can You Travel in Planes With CBD Oil?
I took a flight from New York City to my friend in Sta. Barbara, California. I have fear of heights and have natural fear of falling off high places, so you can imagine how difficult it was for someone as nervous and old as I am. That’s why I always need my CBD oil whenever I travel. I was not afraid of the TSA, but I thought it would be better to hide it.
When the TSA agent conducted a search of the baggage, I did not care much about it. You should know why I was being too confident that my CBD oil would not be found. But before that, I would like to further explain what CBD oil is.
A Little About CBD Oil
CBD oil is short for “cannabidiol oil.” It is made from CBD, or the component of the hemp plant that has potential therapeutic uses. Marijuana contains both THC and CBD. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the mind-altering component, while CBD is the therapeutic component.
CBD oil has many medicinal uses. You can use it for inflammation, pain, and stiffness. You can use it to quit smoking and to reduce withdrawal symptoms from cigarette and drugs. CBD oil may also be able to treat epilepsy, certain anxiety disorders, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, acne, and cancer. The reason for this potential is that CBD has low toxicity levels.
When it comes to the legality of CBD oil, there are 17 US states that have expressed opposition to it. The states that are against marijuana may or may not be against CBD oil. You may argue with police officers regarding the law, but it’s no use arguing when you’re already held in custody. Better use your right to remain silent or just be really careful.
There a number of products with CBD as their main component. They are usually sold online and thus delivered to your doorstep easily.
Be Careful and Aware of the Laws
Be careful when travelling to these 17 states that have specific laws against CBD oil: Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. However, with the constantly changing state laws in the USA, I advise you to be careful wherever you go.
On the other hand, you can enjoy much freedom with your CBD oil in Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and Washington D.C. These states are pro-marijuana, and certainly they wouldn’t mind CBD oil at all. Just continue being careful because some of these states may not allow any public use of the CBD oil just as they only allow private use of marijuana.
Meanwhile, Back to My Story…
They did not find my CBD oil because I hid it in my carrier bag along with my toothpaste, nail polish, and other stuff. Besides, half of it was in a real nail polish container. The other half was in a real perfume bottle. It had no identifying marks on the outside. I had to remember it a lot of times, or else I might accidentally spray me CBD scent.
Outcome of this?
As I just pretended like any ordinary passenger, I was not questioned by the TSA at all. My carrier bag was searched, but they found nothing unusual at all. Even if they checked my Facebook account, there’s nothing there about CBD oil. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
What I Did to Hide My CBD Oil
Part of your success in travelling with CBD oil is to be able to hide it well. Here are some tips I have learned from my own experience and from that of my friends:
1. Do not look suspicious or too scared.
2. Do not ask in public if you’re allowed to carry it. That’s being stupid. Besides, if you’re not, then what’s the point of asking? You should have done it before boarding the plane.
3. Do not be too insecure by carrying your whole supply with you.
4. Better yet, hide it with your toothpaste and change the label to that of an authentic toothache medicine. You can also change its bottle. This is where being a vain man becomes an advantage because I have a lot of bottled stuff.
5. Keep it in your carrier bag along with other personal items.
6. Never keep it in your pocket or in your bag by itself. Your CBD oil must be kept along with your other personal stuff. If it is kept separately, it will be questioned even if you decided to keep it in a chipmunk container.
7. However, if caught by those who are against it, then pretend that you need it for your anxiety, which you tell them you always have when you get air sick.
8. Never tell anyone that you have one. They might point at you even before the search begins.
9. Make sure the words “CBD oil” or “CBD” are nowhere in your memo pad or list of tasks to do.
10. Don’t post it on social media.
An Ounce of Prevention
An ounce of prevention is infinitely better than a pound of cure. If you think that you are going to a city to pay a visit to a friend for just three days, you may not really think about bringing your CBD oil along with you. If you think you’re shaking all over without using CBD oil, then I guess it’s time you go see a shrink.
Some Final Words
The most important thing about travelling with your CBD oil is that you don’t make it obvious that you’re carrying one. Even if you’ve read an article about this and the state you’re going to allows CBD oil, don’t use it in public. Again, better be safe than sorry. Plus, it’s no use arguing with the police with only an Internet article as your lawyer while he tells you that you have the right to remain silent.
One last thing, while I can travel with my CBD oil confidently here in the USA, I did not dare try this when I traveled outside the country, even to Puerto Rico. That’s unfamiliar territory, so better be nice and always remember it’s better to be cautious.